There is no official release date for DotA 2 but Internet rumors are indicating that the game will be released somewhere on this autumn.
The game will be available for download on Steam but it is unknown if it will be completely free or will require a one time payment.
Considering the success of the other similar Moba game (Moba stands for “Multiplayer Online Battle Arena Games”), League of Legends (Lol) and Heroes of Newerth (HoN), DotA 2 will have the same interface like a “battle.net system”, a leveling and statistics system.
The main problem with the current DotA state is the community, the fact that after each game, the player gets nothing, no statistics regarding his progression, something that will motivate him play more.
7 reasons why DotA 2 will be a success.
1. DotA 2 is continuing the concept from where Lol and HoN got their inspiration. DotA is the original Moba game, maybe not the game that invented this gaming genre, but at least the one that made it famous. DotA 2 will improve the graphics, the gameplay and most likely, every DotA fan will want to try the game.
2. An advanced community system, rewards, leveling, achievements. League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth are two successful games. DotA should be at the same level with a leveling, statistics, an advanced system that will reward the dedicated players. Badges, achievements, titles, these things are the ones that are missing from making DotA a much better experience. We will most likely see these things in the following game.
3. Leaver replacement system. One of the biggest turn-offs when playing DotA. The new game will ensure that once a player leaves the game, others will be able to take his positions and continue the game. Probably an advanced AI system will also be implemented.
4. The community will finally get some strict rules. Someone who is just joining games to make fun of others, use unfriendly language will be banned or he will receive warnings. Even though this aspect was not announced, will most likely be implemented.
5. Competitions taken to the next level. The new engine will allow a better customization, better tweaks for heroes that will ensure the balance of the game. A balanced game will also favour competitions and DotA 2 will gain even more recognition as Starcraft, Counter-Strike etc.
6. Building a better community. Currently DotA is famous among poor countries, for gamers that don’t really afford a gaming console, they can’t afford to pay for new released video games. DotA is free and only requires an old computer so it can run in decent conditions. DotA 2 will come with great graphics, map customization, developing support from the community. This only means that gamers all over the world will start playing the game.
7. Future expansions, new DotA modes. Having its own engine, DotA 2 will most likely have new modes, expansions. What is certain is that the game won’t become just one map with the same old mechanics, same old graphics.